Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Updated Desks with Chalk Paint

I have decided to switch up my room a little bit. I got tired of hauling out my sewing machines every time I needed to sew, and then sharing the long desk in our room with the iMac was just as annoying if Jerrod needed to use the computer (he's literally obessed with creating new plays for the youth football team he is coaching.)
So obviously we needed another work space in our room. I was on the lookout for the perfect 42" desk to fit in the corner of our room. I went to my FAVORITE consignment store (where I got the kitchen table and buffet) and they gave me a smoking deal for this mission style desk and a solid pine chair ($100 total! AND they delivered!)
I'm not a fan of mission style furniture, like at all, BUT! I knew I could make this work with a new paint job and a little distressing. I went with Valspar's "Green Gables" to match the new print I'm putting in our room by Alphonse Mucha (the muse for my home decor style).
I wish I remembered to get a before picture, I forgot I only FaceTimed the "before" to my sister. Just picture it without the paint. ;)
I slapped on one coat of chalk paint using THIS recipe (in case you're new here.)
Then distressed with a fine sand paper and covered with a wax seal. I also painted wooden adornments and glued them on each side using Elmer's wood glue and a vice (took like an hour each to dry.) Piece of cake! And now Jerrod has his own desk, and I think the Mission style is well camouflaged to match the rest of our room (which is getting increasingly more eclectic, to my approval!)





The drawer is a keyboard slide, so less clutter, yay.
As I mentioned, I ordered a new print for our room that changed the color scheme slightly. Because of this, I needed to bring my new sewing desk/vanity to a more muted color. I used left over paint from my dining table and buffet to paint the legs of this desk:
The paint is "Irish Cream" by Allen Roth.
I did one sloppy coat and then sanded it to show the teal beneath. I wanted a very "chippy" aged look.

I then added my sewing machines and vintage window frame turned jewelry stand. I cleared a section to now hold my sewing essentials, so now it is equal parts Vanity and Sewing Desk. I am thrilled with the result.

To create more cohesion, I added a different wooden adornation to the back of the new chair I bought.

I just love how this all turned out, epecially the cute hanging storage!

I am going to make sewing machine covers and a cover for my dress form that will match my color scheme in my room, but until then I had to share!